Monday, June 2, 2008

June 1, 2008: Franklinton, LA to Poplarville, MS - First Contact

I had no internet access yesterday so I could not upload a post. I wrote one last night, but yet another technology snafu has sent it into the ether. This is therefore a shorter version of the original.

The highlight of yesterday's 53 mile, 4 hour ride from Franklinton, LA to Poplarville, MS was meeting our first other touring cyclists. Eagle Eyes (Ray) spotted Art and Carol riding toward us just west of Bogalusa, LA. They are riding from Atlanta to San Diego on their loaded tandem and camping most nights, so we are really sissy-boys by comparison. In addition, I shudder to think about pedaling that heavy rig over all those hills! Art, by the way, looked to be at least 65.


We took the day much slower for some reason. It was not a conscious decision, but that's the way it went. My legs were hurting -- not muscle soreness -- more like swelling or lactic acid buildup or something. I resolved to elevate them after the ride, which I did.

We stayed in a cute little three bedroom 'guest cottage'. It turned out to be our best and least expensive accommodations to date. We walked in the door to a bowl of fruit, fresh cinnamon rolls, a stocked fridge, and all the comforts of home (except internet). According to the proprietor, there would even have been cold beer if his wife had not been out of town.



On the wildlife front, I did another turtle rescue -- almost identical to the first one.


No comments:

Post a Comment